Last News

Last Reviews

Don't hog data: Verizon will throttle your speeds

0.0By Nigel Chiwaya February 03, 2011 06:15 PM

Htcpedia news:


Don't hog data: Verizon will throttle your speeds


Excited that Verizon gave you back unlimited data? Well, don't try to use unlimited amounts, lest Big Red pump the breaks on you. According to a document found of Verizon's website, the company will throttle the data speeds for the customers that use "and extraordinary amount of data and fall within the top 5%" of their data users.

Here's the full monty:

"Verizon Wireless strives to provide customers the best experience when using our network, a shared resource among tens of millions of customers. To help achieve this, if you use an extraordinary amount of data and fall within the top 5% of Verizon Wireless data users we may reduce your data throughput speeds periodically for the remainder of your then current and immediately following billing cycle to ensure high quality network performance for other users at locations and times of peak demand. Our proactive management of the Verizon Wireless network is designed to ensure that the remaining 95% of data customers aren’t negatively affected by the inordinate data consumption of just a few users."

So I guess you future Thunderbolt users best not start using your phones as wireless tethers for Halo LAN parties. Oh yeah, one last thing; the throttling goes into effect today. Sorry, Charlie.

Source: Verizon (PDF) via BGR


Rate this: 1 2 3 4 5 Rate


To add comments you need to Login or Register
Add Comment

Comments (1)


By cm0810 February 03, 2011 07:24 PM

Figures. I was going to tether my Thunderbolt to my home network and cancel my cable Internet service. Looks like that might not go over so well with Verizon. My complaint is that I pay $30 for my wife to have "unlimited" data, I will be paying $30+ for 4g service. So I will be paying Verizon $60+ a month and I'll have to continue paying my cable company $55 a month. Just seems a bit much for Internet service. And what is up with their 5% rule? That means they will limit the top 5% even if they aren't using THAT much more data than the other 95%? there will always be a top 5%. just a dumb way to regulate speeds.

(Reply)

1
To add comments you need to Login or Register

Popular News

© 2009-2012 htcpedia.com. All rights reserved.